The Ten | Week 1 – Live Free
The Ten Commandments are more than a list of rules and regulations. They represent a covenant relationship with God. Realize it or not, the Ten Commandments are all about freedom. Freedom is not the absence of responsibilities, guidelines, and expectations; that would be anarchy. We have been set free in order to be who we were made to be and in order to do what we were created to do. The Ten Commandments are not a list of handcuffs and kill joys - they are a picture of what it looks like to live in freedom under the protection, wisdom, and goodness of a God who loves us.
READ Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
READ the passage again and consider these related questions.
How do God’s plans prepare us for success?
What is the framework in which God’s plan works best for us?
Read Deuteronomy 5:28-33, 6:1-3; John 10:10; Ephesians 4:17-19; Galatians 5:1; 13-17
1. How does following the 10 Commandments lead to a prosperous life?
2. Discuss the link between freedom and responsibility.
3. If, as followers of Jesus, we have the Holy Spirit, do we still need the 10 Commandments?
4. Describe how the 10 Commandments help us to fear the Lord.
5. How are the 10 Commandments a picture of a Christian life?
6. Is it possible to keep the commandments without the Holy Spirit?
7. How do the 10 Commandments point to Jesus?