Jesus Said | Week 1 - Authority
If you are old enough, you may remember the TV commercial, "When EF Hutton speaks, people listen." Two thousands years before Mr. Hutton gave financial advice, there was another person who carried even more credibility. His name is Jesus. People came from far and wide to hear what he had to say. The teachings of Jesus were like nothing and no one before him. Jesus spoke about weighty matters, he knew things no one else knew and he cared for everyone regardless of social status. It's unclear what has become of the advice from EF Hutton, but, the words of Jesus are still transforming lives today!
READ Matthew 7:28-29
When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law.
READ this passage again and consider these related questions.
Describe the type of authority that Jesus had.
What differentiated Jesus from the “teachers of the law?”
Read Mark 12:13-17
1. What was the trap being set for Jesus?
2. What does Jesus' answer (v.17) say about civic responsibility?
3. Look at 1 Peter 2:12-17. How does this verse help us to understand our role in a civil society?
4. Why is it so important to consider the entirety of v.17?
Read Mark 6:7-13
5. What is important to remember about the authority that was given to the twelve?
6. What do vv.8-11 reiterate about the authority given to them?
7. Look at Luke 10:19-20. What does this say about the authority given to them?
Read Mark 9:17-18, 28-29
8. What is the connection between faith, lifestyle and the authority granted by Jesus?