Letter to the Thessalonians | Week 10 – Amazing Gift
Isn’t it amazing that the Holy Spirit, God Himself, dwells in us, leads us, and empowers us in our everyday comings and goings? According to Jesus, the Holy Spirit will counsel us, advocate on our behalf, and help us to grow in our sanctified state. Not to mention that He helps us to pray, discern truth from lies, and to edify fellow believers through His gifts. Knowing all of that, how could we not praise God for His indwelling Spirit?
READ 1 Corinthians 2:12
“What we have received is not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may understand what God has freely given us.”
READ the verse again and consider these related questions.
Discuss what this verse means by “what God has freely given us”.
What are the key differences between the spirit of the world and the Spirit of God?
Read 1 Thessalonians 5:19-22; John 14:16-18; 14:26; 15:26; 16:7-11, 12-15;
1 Corinthians 12:7-11; 14:1-4,33; Acts 1:8
1. According to Jesus, what will the Holy Spirit do for us?
2. What if a “move of the spirit” doesn’t point us to Jesus and the Gospel?
3. Why is it so important to learn how to discern what the Holy Spirit is doing in our lives?
4. How do gifts of the Holy Spirit lead to the common good of the believer?
5. What are some differences between testing/discerning and “putting out the Spirit’s fire”?
6. Think about Jesus’s description of the Holy Spirit and discuss how He helps us to distinguish between good and evil?
7. How does the Holy Spirit help us to be a witness?