We are the Church | Week 2: Service *
We are not saved by our actions or good works but those things are the fruit of our salvation. The Gospel of Jesus is about transformation. As followers of Jesus, that transformation should be on display for the world to see. The church is called not only to proclaim the Good News but to service. Jesus “went around doing good” (Acts 10:38) and as imitators of Him, we should do likewise.
READ Ephesians 2:10
For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do go works, which God has prepared in advance for us to do
READ the verse again and consider these related questions.
What do you think “God’s workmanship” means?
What are we created for?
What are good works?
1. Read Titus 3:8. Who should do good works and who should benefit from good works?
2. Why don’t good works have a part in our salvation? Ephesians 2:8-9
3. Discuss Titus 3:14.
4. Look at Matthew 5:14-16. What should be the result of good works?
5. Read Colossians 3:17. Who do we represent when doing good works?
6. List several practical ways in which we can serve Christ by good works. Matthew 25:31-46
7. To whom should we do good, according to Galatians 6:10?
8. What does James contend proves our true concern for the needy? James 2:15-16
9. From 2 Timothy 3:16-17, what equips a Christian for every good work?
10. Discuss what 1 John 3:18 means to you.
*this study is based upon Growing in Christ by The Navigators