We are the Church | Week 3: Giving *
Giving is not just about our finances; it involves our time, talents, and treasure. Everything that we have is a gift from God and He is our provider. As we are called to be good stewards of these gifts, we must use what we have in a way that glorifies God. Paul reminds us that “God loves a cheerful giver.” (2 Corinthians 9:7) With that in mind, it should be with great joy that we learn to be generous in how we give. Every time we use what we have in a God honoring way, we are kingdoms builders.
READ 2 Corinthians 9:7
Each one should give what he has decided to give in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
READ the verse again and consider these related questions.
What attitude toward giving pleases God?
What attitudes should be avoided?
What does “cheerful” imply?
1. Paraphrase 2 Corinthians 9:7.
2. What did Jesus say about spiritual treasure and wealth in Mathew 6:19-21?
3. What do think is behind the warning from Jesus in Luke 12:15?
4. According to Acts 20:35, what did Jesus say about giving? Discuss.
5. In Matthew 6:1-4 what kind of giving does God bless?
6. Read 2 Corinthians 8:9. How does this impact our attitude giving?
7. In 1 Corinthians 16:1-12, what can we infer about what is expected of each of us?
8. What is more important, the amount or the willingness to be generous? Read Luke 21:1-4
9. What is the result of giving to others? Read Philippians 4:18-19
10. Consider the various ways of giving other than financially.
*this study is based upon Growing in Christ by The Navigators