Lessons from Nehemiah | Week 2 – God Provides
In the movie Star Wars, Obi Wan uses a “Jedi mind trick” to fool the Storm Troopers into believing that, “these are not the droids you are looking for,” when in fact, they were exactly the droids they were looking for. Thanks be to God that we do not have to rely upon tricks to get what we need. Instead, we confidently rely upon His promises, mercy, and provision. In Nehemiah chapter 2, the King who rules over the nation responsible for attacking and capturing the city of Jerusalem, agrees to something amazing. He is willing to send Nehemiah back to Jerusalem to rebuild the wall and reestablish the city. And not only that, but to provide everything that he needs to get the job done. God provides in ways that we least expect it.
READ 2 Peter 1:3
His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.
READ those verses again and consider these related questions.
When our journey with Jesus seems too hard, what should we do?
What does this verse tell us about how our individual role fits into God’s bigger plan?
Read Nehemiah 2:1-5; Colossians 3:23-24; James 4:10
1. Why is it important to reflect Godly character in everything that we do?
2. Describe how Nehemiah’s humility lead to God’s blessing?
Read Nehemiah 2:6-9; John 15:7; Luke 11:13
3. Where does Nehemiah’s confidence come from to make such bold requests?
4. What is important about the reason Nehemiah gives for the king’s generosity (v.8b)?
5. Discuss why the king’s response and actions are so unbelievable.
Read Nehemiah 2:10; John 16:33; Psalm 23:5
6. What is verse 10 a reminder of for every follow of Jesus?
7. Describe how grace both saves us and then sustains us on life’s journeys.