Hang On! | Week 3: Hard Pressed
When the world feels like it is closing in, it is hard to maintain a positive mindset. The distractions make it hard to focus on the promises of God. Often, we think about being victorious in Christ as a ticket to avoid difficulty. The Bible tells us a different story however. We are strong in Jesus through every battle, difficult situation and storm. He walks with us.
READ Psalm 118:13-14
I was pushed back and about to fall, but the Lord helped me. The Lord is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation.
READ this passage again and consider these related questions.
At what point did “the Lord help?” What is important about the timing?
What does having a strong defense allow you to do?
Discuss the various aspects of God’s salvation?
1. Read Psalm 118:5. Discuss the symbolism of this verse. How does it apply when you find yourself is an uncomfortable situation?
2. Read Psalm 118:8-9. Given the disunity and divisiveness in our nation, what do these verses remind us to do? Is there a difference between “refuge” and “trust”?
Read 2 Corinthians 4:7-10 for questions 3-5
3. What are the “treasure” and “jars of clay”?
4. In verse 8-9, the word “but” is important. What does this remind us of?
5. Describe the importance of the death of Christ in us and how his life is revealed in us because of it.
6. Read John 15:2. Is it possible for something positive to result from hardship? How so?
7. Psalm 118 begins and ends in the same way (vv.1 and 29). What can you draw from this?