Letter to the Thessalonians | Week 3 – Keeping On
There is nothing more frustrating than making an avoidable mistake. We think back, “if only I was more prepared or was paying more attention.” In our walk as followers of Jesus, we can avoid the avoidable when we are diligent and consistent in the practice of spiritual disciplines. Like any successful musician, athlete, or artist, it takes practice and hard work to achieve our goals and to live up to our fullest potential. Spending time in prayer, Bible study and worship, help us to stay connected to Jesus. He alone is the source of our success.
READ Joshua 3:5
Consecrate yourselves, for tomorrow the Lord will do amazing things among you.
READ the passage again and consider these related questions.
In what ways do we prepare ourselves to become who God is calling us to be?
How does deliberate preparation put us in a place where God can do amazing things?
Read 1 Thessalonians 2:17 – 3:5; Ephesians 6:10-13
1. In what ways does Satan try to prevent us from walking with Jesus?
2. According to the verses in Ephesians, what should we do in the face of opposition?
Read Hebrews 12:2-3; Philippians 3:14-15; 3 John 3-4
3. In what ways is our spiritual journey like a race?
4. What is Paul’s desire for the Christians in Thessalonica?
5. What does this tell us about Paul’s commitment to and belief in the Gospel?
Read 1 Corinthians 15:57-58; 2 Thessalonians 2:13-15
6. Why is it important to study the Word of God with other believers?
7. Describe how the Holy Spirit uses the Word of God to strengthen and encourage us?