Fruit | Week 4: Goodness
In some Christian traditions, you will regularly hear a greeting that goes like this: person 1 says, “God is good” and person 2 responds with, “all the time.” Then person 1 returns with, “and all the time” followed by person 2’s retort, “God is good.” This is not such much a reminder that God is good; as it is a declaration of His continued goodness. As we remain connected to the vine and in step with the Holy Spirit, our lives ought to reflect God’s goodness. God is the standard for goodness. This is on display in the generosity we experience as grace – unmerited and undeserved. God is good to us not because we earned it but because he loves us. This is his nature and this is a character trait that is personified in Jesus. As we grow in our sanctification, let’s not begrudgingly dole out goodness. Let us lavishly reflect the goodness of Jesus in every interaction.
READ Matthew 5:16
…let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.
READ this passage again and consider these related questions.
Why is it so important to be deliberate in how we interact with others?
What does the fruit of goodness look like in our every day encounters?
How is withholding goodness dishonoring to God?
Read Ephesians 5:8-11
1. What does it mean that “you were once darkness?”
2. Describe how producing fruit and shining light is the same process in this context.
3. How does the fruit of light please the Lord?
4. Consider Colossians 1:9-10. How is bearing good fruit related to spiritual wisdom, knowledge and understanding?
Read Romans 15:14
5. Since we know that “we have all fallen short” what does Paul mean by this verse?
Read 2 Thessalonians 1:11-12
6. In each of the passages so far, there is a theme of purpose and calling. Why do you suppose that goodness is linked to this?
7. How does producing the good fruit of goodness bring glory to Jesus?
8. Consider all of the passages above and describe how transformation and the gospel relate to purpose, calling, and goodness?