The Ten | Week 8 – DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY
When there is something in a society that is common, pervasive, broadly accepted, and encouraged, we would expect it to be something good or beneficial. Unfortunately, there is something that fits this category that is not positive in any way. You don’t have to look very hard to see that our culture celebrates lust, sexual immorality, and adultery. Adultery is one of the most damaging behaviors affecting us today. A husband and wife are joined together in love, adoration, affection, and fidelity in a covenantal relationship. Mutually exclusive, permanent, a sacred bond. In the same way, the church is joined to Jesus. Marriage is also the image and symbol of Jesus’ love for the church. The church is the bride and Jesus is the groom.
READ Exodus 20:14
“You shall not commit adultery.”
READ this passage again and consider these related questions.
What is adultery?
How are we to avoid it?
Read: Gen 2:24, Isa 61:10,62:5, Jer 2:2, Joel 2:16, Mat 12:39, Jn 3:29, Eph 5:22-33, Heb 13:4, Rev 19:7, 21:9, 22:17, Lev 20:10, Prov 6:30, Jer 3:9,5:7,13:27, Eze 16:38,23:27, Mat 5:27-30, Jn 8:3-11, 1st cor 6:9-11,16-20, Jam 4:4, Rev 2:20-23
1. What is the difference between physical and spiritual adultery?
2. Why does God consider it so important to abstain from adultery?
3.What examples does society give us about adultery?
4. What examples did Jesus leave us about adultery?
5. How does the enemy attack the high level of importance God places on marriage?
6. How can we influence others opinion about marriage and adultery?
7. What role do we play as the bridegroom of Christ in the story of redemption and the ultimate culmination/consummation of human history?