Through the Storm | Week 1: Some Place New
The saying goes, “if you meet Jesus and your life doesn’t change, then you didn’t meet the real Jesus.” All of us, without Christ, are running away from God. We are rebels without a clue. Blinded by our sin, we don’t even realize that we are lost. This, however, doesn’t prevent Jesus from inviting us to something new and different. The Good News is a proclamation that there is a different path that leads to a better outcome. We need good news because the bad news is that we are all destined for an eternity of hopelessness. Jesus wants us to change direction. He is inviting us to run toward Him, walk with Him, and leave our old ways behind.
READ Hebrew 11:6
And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
READ the passage again and consider these related questions.
According to this verse, what do think is implied by believing that God exists?
What is the reward for earnestly seeking God?
Read Mark 4:35-41
1. What kind of symbolism can you find in Jesus’s words in vv.35-36?
2. What sort of lessons do you think the disciples learned on this trip?
3. Does Jesus ever make a promise He doesn’t intend to keep? How does that affect how we respond to His invitation?
Read Isaiah 43:16-19; Matthew 4:19; 1 John 2:15; Romans 8:7-10
4. What should expect when Jesus invites us to something new?
5. When we become a follower of Jesus, what are the main things that change?
6. Why does Jesus call us to leave the ways of the world behind us?
7. Describe how believing and repenting go hand in hand. What are the 2 parts of repentance?