Through the Storm | Week 3 – Faith Propels Us
How much faith is required when everything is going well? Not much, right? It’s not until we come upon rough waters that we need to trust that Jesus will get us through. As His followers, we are called to step outside of our comfort zone. In faith, we can follow His lead and pursue the calling that He has for our lives. Our walk with Jesus begins with faith. We don’t know where that walk will lead us, but, because we trust Him, we follow. Faith is something that we continually need. It is the strength to keep going and the proof that we trust the promise.
READ Joshua 1:9
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.
READ the passage again and consider these related questions.
How does faith enable us to overcome fear and discouragement?
How is our faith bolstered by knowing that God will be with us?
Read Mark 4:35-41; Matthew 8:26; Luke 8:25
1. In hindsight, should the fact the Jesus was asleep be a cause for concern or an assurance of the promise?
2. What happens to our faith when we forget that “God will be with you wherever you go”?
3. Why do you think that Jesus asks them why they still lacked faith?
4. Compare the attitudes of the disciples getting into the boat, during the storm, and after Jesus calmed it. What do you think they learned?
Read Romans 10:17; John 14:1; Matthew 14:22
5. What are some of the things we can do to strength our faith?
6. How do we guard against falling into fear when the storms rage around us?
7. Discuss why faith/believing/trusting is an action word and must be something that we continually do.
8. Describe how saving faith grows into trusting the promises of God.