Follower of Jesus | Week 4: Agape *
God is love and His love is unconditional. This is hard to fully comprehend. Why would God love us this way? We reject him, we sin, we go our own way yet He loves us even more. So much so that He came to save us. When we embrace His love, He even transforms us.
READ John 13:34-35
A new command I give to you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.
READ these verses again and consider these related questions.
What is Christ’s new command?
Whose example of love are we to follow?
What will result when followers of Jesus show one another the same kind of love Jesus extends to us?
1. What command does Jesus emphasize in Matthew 22:37-39?
2. Read 1 John 4:7. What is the source of love?
3. Who does God love according to John 3:16?
4. Discuss what Peter is saying in 1 Peter 1:22.
5. How did Jesus demonstrate his love for us? John 15:12-13.
6. Discuss love and the effects of it from 1 John 2:5-6?
7. Read 1 John 3:16-18. Describe the expected and experienced transformational aspect of God’s love?
8. Consider the verses in 1 Corinthians 13:4-7. Describe how this shapes how we love and in what ways Christian love should be different from the worldly view of love.
*this study is based upon Growing in Christ by The Navigators